Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Super Tuesday?

So here we are....Super Tuesday is upon us and the Media, both print and television, are all geared up to pander to the lowest common denominator and to explain to all of us what is happening and why. They do this as a public service, don't you know, because everyone knows we are just too stupid to reach our own conclusions.

I love how they do that, have you ever watched a debate between the candidates and then had to sit through another half hour of the talking heads explaining to us what we heard...like we are just too stupid to have picked up on things on our own. I love it that they try to take care of us like this, lord knows what kind of mistakes we would make if we didn't have them to tell us what to think.

Super Tuesday, the day when a large portion of states will go to the polls and vote, both Democratic and Republican, for who they want to see in the final Two-Horse Race. This time around the popular catch-phrase is "Change". Candidates on both sides are touting change as their battle cry but my only question is: What specific changes are we talking about?

Has anyone actually come right out and TOLD us what changes they want to make? "The devil is in the detail" as they say and with these candidates there is a lot of that "devil" hidden within those unspoken details.

Now I have my own thoughts, being just an ignorant country boy like I am. I truly believe that the only "change" any of these current candidates have given any serious thought to is the change-of-address cards they may get to fill out so that their mail will arrive at 1600 Pennsylvania avenue. Beyond that, I firmly believe that it will be business as usual. In other words, they will adhere to their party lines and never venture anything that could be mildly construed as revolutionary change in the fundamental way that the government works.

As for the People's Republic of California and the East Coast Liberals, they have already embraced the fact that the Democrats, no matter who they chose, are going to make history with this election....The first woman president or the first Black president...either way, the liberals of both these areas of the country are about to orgasm with the mere thought of making history. Never mind that neither of these candidates offer anything remotely like a well thought through plan to better our country, they are gonna make history!

If either Obama or Clinton are elected their foreign policy will most closely resemble that of Chamberlain prior to WW2 while their domestic policy will be bigger government, more welfare, and higher taxes to pay for all of it. They will strip our military and begin a program of appeasement around the world.

If the Republicans, by some miracle that would rival the parting of the Red Sea, manage to get elected, they would continue to rape the environment, give tax breaks to Big Business, and cut Social programs to pay for it.

Personally....I don't care for either one of them. I have to wonder....being a country boy and all....How would the talking heads explain it t0 us if they gave an election and NO BODY showed up?

Now that would be "Change" wouldn't it!

5 comments:

Un Homme Compliqué said...

So, Tor, what do you really think about politicians?

I'm not quite as doom and gloom as you are, but... there's definitely going to be a shift to the left considering the nation's thorough dissatisfaction with W and his crowd.

Let's hope it just doesn't go too far.

Nice debut rant, to a simple man from a complicated one...

Kimberly Kay said...

Hey Tor - I had no idea you and I had such similar thoughts regarding the political machine in this country we call home. I could not agree more with just about every word you said - and quite eloquently too.
Keep it up - I like what I'm reading - but don't stay too long on blogspot and neglect all of us at WDC who miss you when you're not there!

Sheila said...

Oh yeah, I hear you! I have yet to hear anything from any of the candidate-wannabes that makes me think, "Hmmm, I could get behind them". What I'm hearing is the same old, "Bend over", cloaked in the "Change" word.

Feels good to express yourself freely huh! Excellent.

Trish said...

IF I make it through a debate without pulling hair out and screaming 'AGHHHHHHHH, just answer the questiong!'....then I turn off the 'talking heads'. I know what I heard, thank you very much. *grin*

Like you, I would like them to step up and just SAY what they are going to do. Silly us.

Wonder how many people will be closing their eyes and just pushing a random button come election time because they have no real pick?

Scary huh?

LK Hunsaker said...

Yep, this year it looks like I'll be voting more against a candidate than for one, since my pick is out of the race. *sigh*

I will be voting against one for sure, though. In my state, it won't make a difference, but I'm doing it anyway.