Sunday, February 10, 2008

Political Correct Crap

At what point did our language change, did I miss the memo on this? When exactly did we stop saying what we mean and start policing our words so closely?

For example, how many times have you watched the news on TV and listened to some police spokesman saying: "Yes, we are now looking for Mr. John Doe as a 'person of interest'."

Person of Interest? Now they have eyewitness reports of Mr. Doe leaving the scene of the murder, covered in the blood of the victim, and holding a large, bloody knife. Add to that the fact that the victim was Doe's ex-wife and she had died as the direct result of 73 knife wounds and they now call Mr. Doe a 'Person of Interest'?

What the hell is up with that?

I know he is a suspect, you know he is a suspect...Hell even his old aunt Mary who is 102 and senile, knows the man is a SUSPECT. So why the hell can't we just call the man a suspect? Well that's simple. Even though the man has, in all probability, just stabbed his ex-wife 73 times, God forbid we should hurt his feelings by calling him a suspect. He might just suffer some great trauma by being called a damn suspect.

Politically Correct...it is the bane of the English language. Not only that, but it serves to make wussies of us all. We are no longer allowed to say what we mean. My friends, if you think I am fat, do me a favor...call me fat and don't refer to me as Caloricly Challenged. You just might make me decide to get off my fat ass and lose some weight by being honest with me.

Not long ago, in a cafe in Austrlia, I believe, a waiter refused to serve a man who asked for a cup of "Black Coffee". The waiter felt that the term: 'Black Coffee' was racist. At a meeting of a large company's excutives about a year ago, they were trying to come up with some new ideas for their product. It was referred to as a "brainstorming" session. Of course, some dim-bulb took exception to the word "brainstorm" and suggested that instead, it should be called a "Thought shower" so as not to insult anyone who may suffer from seizures or other brain maladies.

A few other examples of how low we have sunk...

1. Misunderstood Criminals instead of Terrorist

2.Deferred Success instead of Failure

3. Womyn instead of Women...so as to distance the word from "men"

4. And my personal favorite.....Nondiscretionary Frangrance instead of Body Odor.


It seems that suddenly, or at least over the past ten years or so, someone has decided that the fact that a person might somehow be insulted is a crime against humanity. I, personally do not ascribe that that particular point of view.

Folks, like I said, if I am fat, call me fat. If I am a bum, call me a bum and not a "Displaced Homeowner". Call it like you see it and have the courage to stand behind your words. Oh and as for that "Person of Interest" thing....well if you see Mr. Doe, call the cops and tell them where they can find their SUSPECT. But, don't you dare call him a person of interest, because to me, Anglina Jolie in a thong is a "Person of Interest", not John Doe holding a bloody knife!

4 comments:

Un Homme Compliqué said...

We are largely of one mind on this one.

Politically correct speech has been a phenomenon for at least thirty years. I remember radical feminists demanding that universities change the name of their departments to "herstory" from history.

It is a manipulation of language to advance a particular political point of view. It's not always been called "political correctness," though.

Back in the days when Josef Goebbels called the extermination centers "work camps," it was known as propaganda...

Trish said...

LOL Ok, ok...maybe Angelina in a thong is a person of intrest to YOU...

As for the person of interest thingy. Being married to a cop, I can actually answer that. But you won't like it anymore then Steve and the others do.

You can't call them a 'suspect' until they have been informed of their rights...because you are setting it up that they are presumed guilty and they can use it to get away with...murder.

Don't laugh. The legal system has swung so far the other way that if the 'i' isn't dotted on the search warrant, they can walk.

I am all for fair treatment of suspects, but it has gotten so out of control.

And now, I bet someone is going to come in and defend all these rules as 'good'...

Where did you find those new ways of 'speaking'...I haven't ever seen them before. LOL

Here in New Hampshire...the 'Live Free or Die' state...we pretty much will do what we want and if you don't like it, go elsewhere.

Anyway. Have a great day. ( I still can say that, right?!)

Sheila said...

Ohhh, you touched a nerve here! I'm so tired of everyone blaming others and the lack of personal responsibility being hidden by such buzzwords as you've mentioned.

If this is language evolution than we have learned nothing the past 30 years. By the way, you are not fat, but I suspect you may get a fat lip if a certain woman sees your Ms. Jolie remark.

LK Hunsaker said...

Agreed ... all the way.

Let's call a spade a spade, shall we?